About Me!!!

My photo
United States
I'm a surface pattern designer, photographer, gardener, doing everything with a boho, edgy flair.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Power of Doodling!!

One of my favorite projects from the e-course "The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design" was simply getting back to basics and doodling.  Pen/pencil on paper, the good old-fashioned way!  I had gotten so used to working just on my computer using my Wacom Intuos tablet to do rough sketching and forming ideas, I forgot how much fun it was to get lost with my inks, colored pencils and sketchbooks. What a mental vacation this was for me!!!

I used photos that I took of scarves, objects around my house, flowers from recent trips to the garden center.  It's really limitless as to where you can find inspiration for patterns.  Flowers just might be my favorite.
Flower and leaf motifs.







Edge Details.
Mosaics and Patchwork
(I did a cool pattern based on some of these motifs, I'll post that a bit later)





Quilt Squares

I still have yet to fully develop some of these patterns. I actually drew all of this stuff in a few days. I was on fire!! Haha!

Over the years, I've had trouble thinking and coming up with new creative ideas. And looking back, I've found that I was sitting in front of my computer with my Wacom tablet trying to kick off the creative process digitally. I now know this doesn't work for ME, maybe for others, but not for me.  And I am very fortunate to have learned this lesson about myself, the sooner the better!

If you would like to follow me on Pinterest, just click on this link! http://pinterest.com/groovity/

Oh, and if you want to Pinterest any of my artwork or photography from here, please attach a link to this blog and give me credit. If you don't, I will find you and hurt you ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment